Experts are saying that pregnant women regardless of their condition should always stay healthy throughout the duration of pregnancy. Being healthy does not only entails having a positive outlook in life but also good eating habits to supply the nutrients needed both by the mother and the baby. So let's go through some of the points in gaining weight and why is it important shall we?
Why Gaining Weight is So Important?
- By eating right, it will provides the best nutrients for the developing fetus.
- To provide a healthy birth weight.
- To prevent any health risks of fetus throughout the pregnancy.
- To prepare the body for deliver.
How Much Weight Should I Gain During Pregnancy?
- It depends on BMI prior to pregnancy. A healthy weight gain during pregnancy should be between 25-35 lbs with BMI of 20-25.
- For those with BMI less than 20 should gain 28-40 lbs to be on the right level.
- For those whose having BMI more than 27 lbs should gain 15-25lbs.
What Are The Factors of Gaining The Right Weight?
- Your heights.
- Number of baby you're carrying.
- Your age.
- Your lifestyle and eating habits.
- Any health concerns such as diabetics, etc.
Look At That Weight!! Where Does It Go To?
Baby 7.5 lbs Uterus 2 lbs
Amniotic Fluid 2 lbs Blood 4 lbs
Placenta 1.5 lbs Body Fluids 4 lbs
Breasts 2 lbs Body Fat 7 lbs
Total equals to 30 Lbs
How to Achieve the Weight Safely?
- Gain the right weight at a slow and steady rate.
- Normally, weight gain varies within trimester such as follow:
- Only 2-8 lbs during 1st trimester
- 2nd trimester 0.75-1 lb/week
- 3rd trimester 0.75-1 lb/week
- Higher weight gain if you're expecting twins (1.5 lbs/week)
How Should I Change My Eating Habits?
- Eat small but frequent meals. Break it into 5-6 meals a day.
- Consume more required nutrients and vitamins (Calcium, Iron, Protein, Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Zinc)
- Prenatal vitamins are recommended but consult with your doctor on which vitamins you should take.
- Eat nutrient dense snacks if you prefer something light.
- Treat yourself on occasion (My wife likes to have McDonald's Sundae on her treat day :-) )
Exercising While Pregnant?
Don't worry about how much weight should you gain during pregnancy, every mom should stay active during pregnancy. You don't have to do heavy exercises as before pregnancy, a low strenuous exercise works best at this time such as swimming, walking, low-impact aerobics, etc. Exercising while pregnant will help to reduce:
- Gestational diabetes
What Are the Risks of Weight Gain?
You may gain too much weight due to improper diet or you may gain too little weight otherwise.
Obese Pregnancy Concerns
- BMI over 30
- Larger birth weight
- Increase risk of preencampsia and gestational diabetes
- Defects in unborn child
- Greater chance for child to be over weight
What About Underweight Pregnancy?
Usually, underweight pregnancy is related to those having BMI under 18.5. It can cause some of the effects below:
- Small birth weights
- Birth defects with deficient key nutrients due to improper diet and lack of nutrition.
- Can lead to eating disorders in later life.
What Are the Concerns for Young Aged Mothers?
Those young mothers under 17 are at most risk for complications which can cause hypertension,cephalopelvic disproportion,iron deficiency anemia,& unsafe abortion. Higher rates of premature labour, stillbirth, early death during childhood are also one of the high risks.
How To Start Loosing the Weights?
- Stay active! Don't laze around too much,
- Breast feeding also helps
- Continue to eat properly for milk production
- If the weight gain during pregnancy properly gained, it will gradually come off easily
A Bit Of Advices
- Prevent the excess weight gain prior to pregnancy
- Don't worry so much about "How Much Weight Should You Gain During Pregnancy?" instead, try to gain weight slowly and gradually
- Meet all nutrient and energy needs and no more!
- "I like to move it! move it!" Keep on moving!
- Monitor pregnancy with your physician consistently